Bannière Bannière Bannière Bannière
Pause Reprendre

International Students


Social Insurance Number

You must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to hold a job in Canada. This number will be given to you only if you have a contract position. The SIN is not the same as the number that appears on your Quebec health card. The SIN is essential in several circumstances, particularly for interactions with employers and the Government. If you are neither a permanent resident nor a Canadian citizen and you apply for a SIN, a special number (starting with a 9) will be given to you. This number will have an expiration date. When you renew your permit, you must also renew your SIN. You must therefore request it as soon as you receive a contract for work.

Remember: You must keep this number confidential at all times. You must show it to various Government branches to obtain services. Otherwise, keep it in a safe place and do not reveal this number unless it is necessary to do so.

Top of page


On-campus Employment

Full-time students with valid study permits do not need a work permit for on-campus employment. Le service de placement de l’UQAT (Fr) can assist you.

Top of page


Off-campus Employment

The UQAT placement services support your search for off-campus work. The International Students Office can tell you what you need to know about obtaining an off-campus work permit.

The work permit authorizes students to hold an off-campus job for a maximum of 20 hours a week during the fall and winter sessions, and on a full-time basis, when no classes are in session.

Learn about the procedure for obtaining an off-campus work permit by consulting the following link:

Puce Citizenship and Immigration Canada Site externe

Various job search sites describe many job postings. The postings are updated on a daily basis for the majority of areas in the region.

Puce Guichet Emploi Site externe
Puce Jobboom Site externe
Puce Ma région d’être Site externe
Puce Mouvement Relève Amos Région Site externe
Puce Workopoliscampus Site externe

Top of page


Post-Graduation Work Permit

When you have successfully completed your program of studies in Canada, provided you meet certain conditions, you will be able to hold a job in Canada. You may apply for a post-graduation work permit if your study permit is still valid when you apply.

The post-degree work permit is valid for a maximum of three years.

Students who obtain the post-graduation work permit are exempt from the Certification d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ).

Puce Citizenship and Immigration Canada Site externe


Top of page


Practicums/Work Terms

You must apply for a work permit if you are required to complete a practicum or a work term off-campus, whether the practicum or work term is paid or not. This permit is free if the practicum or work term is a required (mandatory) part of your program of study; if the practicum or work term is optional, you will be required to pay for the permit.


Top of page


Income Taxes

If you worked and earned a salary between January 1st and December 31st of each year, you must produce tax returns for the federal and provincial Governments. Tax returns must be sent to the federal and provincial Governments no later than April 30th of the year following the tax year ended on the preceding December 31st. Your employer will send you T4 and Relevé 1 slips, and UQAT Finance Services will send out T2202A and Relevé 8 slips to help you fill out the forms and request any deductions that apply to you. These documents are accessible via Symbiose.

Remember: It is important for international students to submit their income tax return and to keep tax credits.

In March of each year, representatives from the Canada Revenue Agency and Revenu Québec visit UQAT to tell you of your tax obligations and the possible reimbursements available to you. These representatives will also distribute the appropriate forms. You will be informed by email of the time and place of their visit a few weeks in advance.

For more details, consult the following link:

Puce Canada Revenue Agency Site externe


Top of page

Last update : July-01-10